These waffles are light and crisp with a touch of warmth from the cinnamon and cloves. They were the perfect vehicle for Frog Hollow Farm’s Apricot Conserve and a drizzle of Lyle’s Golden Syrup. This is what I shared for breakfast with my family on this Mother’s Day morning. Of course there was plenty of Applewood Smoked Bacon, hot coffee and handmade cards from my two favorite snugglers. The only thing that could have made this morning more perfect would have been sharing it with the two women who give me endless love, support and strength….my mom and mother-in-law. I count my lucky stars everyday that I get to learn from these beautiful women. I wouldn’t be the mother I am today without them.
Happy Mother’s Day. I hope you all get to enjoy good food and laughter with your loved ones.
Golden Flax Waffles with Apricot Conserve
- 1 3/4 cups of All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix (click here to see my mix)
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (if baking corn free, see my notes)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- generous pinch ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (if baking corn free, see my notes)
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or Butter (if you eat dairy)
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
—-> Preheat waffle iron.
—-> Add all dry ingredients (Flour through Cloves) to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
—-> Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix thoroughly for about 1 minute. I mixed by hand with a large wooden spoon.
—-> Cook in batches on hot iron. For crisp waffles, serve immediately with toppings of choice. Today we made ours with a drizzle of Agave Syrup and Apricot Conserve from Frog Hollow Farm.
—-> I keep mine warm and crisp in a toaster oven set to warm.
* These waffles keep extremely well in the freezer. For reheating I place frozen waffles in my toaster oven and toast until hot and crisp.