Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 can of coconut milk (not light), do not shake
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Place the can of coconut milk into the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
Open the can without shaking and scrape the thick, coconut cream into the chilled bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. This will be about 1 cup. Save the remaining coconut water for another application.
Add the powdered sugar and starting your mixer slowly, increase speed to medium high and whisk for 2-3 minutes or until the coconut milk holds soft peaks. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator – up to 2 days.
Tips for success:
- Use full-fat coconut milk such as Thai Kitchen. Don’t use “Cream of Coconut” which is pre-sweetened and has a lot of added ingredients, or a light version such as Trader Joes (which I love for other uses).
- Use a heavy-duty mixer that can whip fast for 2-3 minutes.
- Use powdered sugar, or any other powdered sweetener for best results. Liquid sweetners like honey, agave or maple syrup will prevent the coconut milk from whipping.
- If you would like to add vanilla flavor, stick with the scrapings of a vanilla bean, vanilla powder, or a very small amount of liquid vanilla (1/2 teaspoon). Adding too much additional liquid to this coconut cream inhibits the whipping process.